We Need To Be OK with Not Being OK

Ten ordinary tasks that are flat-out impossible after a mastectomy:
  1. getting out of bed 
  2. getting into bed
  3. getting comfortable enough to sleep in said bed 
  4. opening the refrigerator 
  5. opening pill bottles 
  6. opening anything 
  7. staying awake for more than a few hours at a time 
  8. putting on t-shirts 
  9. sitting on the same couch as a squirmy 3-year-old 
  10. updating your blog, apparently
Things went fine on Monday. As fine as these things can go. Zero complications, other than feeling a bit barfy. No skin grafts were necessary for the wound closure. Thrilling news! So pleased.

By Tuesday afternoon, I was home
—and I’ve been sleeping ever since. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ingrid equates adulthood with perpetual naps and constant doctors' appointments. Because that is what the adults in her life do: sleep and go to the doctor. She may never want to grow up.

How does this surgery compare to the one I had in July?

Pain level is about the same. Very controllable with meds. This time around, though, it’s like my body is confused about where exactly surgery took place. I have zero pain at my incision site. For the most part, the right half of my torso is entirely numb—scar tissue and all that.

You know where I hurt? My bum. Swear to God. The pain starts at my lower back and radiates down to my derrière and upper thighs. My surgeon anticipated lower back pain because of all the skin-stretching going on, so I’m not concerned. Just sore.

“I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine, I'm...What Were We Talking About?”

How am I doing emotionally? Eh. The first few days after surgery, your brain can only process things on the most basic survivalist level. You just want to rest, to stop hurting, to be able to stomach a bowl of oatmeal, to heal.

Days pass, and you start to feel better physically. Your brain acquires enough fuel to move beyond “let’s just stay alive today.” This is where the emotional distress creeps in, ever so stealthily. Or maybe it kicks in the door full force, robs you blind, and leaves you for dead.

I’d say, on an emotional level, I'm coping less than perfectly. I mean, I’m not locking myself in the bathroom to cry all day or anything. Most of the time, I’m somewhat getting through my day. When I wake up, I brush my teeth and give my kid cereal. 

But there’s a new heaviness with this second surgery. Partly because I’m anxious about the pathology results. Partly because I’m unhappy with the way I look. Partly because I feel guilty about being unhappy with the way I look. (Emotions are ALL over the map. Tamoxifen isn’t doing me any favors, either.)

In our house, there’s this chorus that plays on loop: “I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine.

“I’m tired, but I’m fine.”
“It’s painful, but I’ll live.”
“I’m repulsed by my own skin, but haha, can’t complain!”

I will live. And there’s plenty more reason for me to be happy with my life than to complain about it. BUT...am I really fine? Is that seriously the best adjective I can come up with to describe my current emotional state? Am I really 100% OK with having my chest butchered like a slab of meat? No. I would say, um, I'm very not.

Yesterday was the first time I really looked at my body without clothing. Like really looked at it.

I grossed me out.

I have an 8-inch incision that runs diagonally from my right armpit to just past the middle of my chest. It meets with a curvy 5-inch vertical cut running down the right side of my torso.

The scars are unpretty, but I can live with them. What bothers me, really, is my lopsidedness
there’s still an (ugly) implant where my left breast used to be. I’m all for nixing both implants to achieve some balance, but my doctor didn’t want to add more surgery to what was already a major operation. He preferred to minimize even the smallest risk of complication or infection, and rightly so.

I will be okay. When I am. Until that time, I’m going to be a little bit sad about my uni-boob. I’m going to be mildly (and temporarily) unhinged while I’m waiting for test results.

You don’t need to bury your ugly feelings beneath a layer of rainbows and unicorns


And anyway, I’m more than tired of these sparkly images of women jumping back in the saddle after breast surgery. I’m tired of the trite Pinterest memes about “cancer-thriving” and “feeling strong and beautiful in your skin” after a mastectomy. Hogwash. I feel the opposite of strong and beautiful in my skin. I’m self-conscious and uncomfortable with my asymmetry. 

It takes timeand counseling and drugs and mindfulnessto achieve that kind of peace. Let’s not kid ourselves.

Let’s also let ourselves be sad. And angry. And human. Why are we so quick to squash down signs of pain? Why are we obsessed with being okay with NOT okay things? Why do we try to put a positive spin on every last thing that happens to us?

Because we want our sad stories to come with happy endings. We like our challenges in life to come paired with a cute morality nugget. Pain is more digestible when it's wrapped in a tasteful bow. We like it to be tidy and meaningful. 

Plain old suffering is not the stuff of inspirational Instagram posts. It’s icky, and it makes us uncomfortable, and we just don’t like it!

Poking around an online cancer forum, I found a thread where a woman was struggling with her husband’s recent setback in treatment. She was seeking advice on how to remain optimistic in the face of unhopeful circumstances.

I prickled at one response that read something like: “You just push through it! That’s all you can do
—never let him see your doubt. You have to stay optimistic for your husband, all the time.”

Nope. No and no! We all work through things differently, but this is just bad advice.

I’m not advocating indulgent sniveling marathons. I’m not suggesting this woman throw in the towel or that she views life through the murky lens of bitterness.

What I’m suggesting is that she ought to be HUMAN. She’s entitled to feel feelings. Even the ugly ones. Especially the ugly ones. It would likely benefit her husband to witness them on occasion.

It’s okay to not be okay


I’ve been both a caregiver and a cancer patient, so I feel like I have the authority to say: It was OKAY to see my husband struggle with my diagnosis. It was OKAY to see him cry on my behalf. It was OKAY for him to lose it for ten seconds when I took my bandages off this week.

I mean, it sucked to see him so distraught. It wasn’t pleasant (remind mewhat part of cancer is?) But it made me feel loved in a very raw and personal and honest way.

Truthfully, it would have irked the shit out of me if his response to my distress during chemo was a plucky “You’ll get through it, honeyI believe in you!” It would have been uncool of him to smile with fake optimism while my doctor delivered more bad news.

It is perfectly reasonable and healthy to run the gamut of emotions here. Cancer will do that to you. Life will do that to you.

As the lovely writer Nora McInerny puts it:
“The cure for grief is not ‘be not sad’ and the cure for anger isn’t ‘be unangry!’ It’s feeling all of these things, even the uncomfortable ones, without judging yourself for them.”
Right on!

So feel your feelings. The gross, painful ones too. Stop apologizing for them. Work with them and through them.

That’s how we’ll arrive at being okay. Not by pretending things are brilliant when they aren't. Because, really, that just breeds confusion and shame among people struggling with their own ugly feelings. (ie: every single human)

Instead, let's be helpful by being honest. Let's give ourselves permission to be something other than "fine." Let's be okay when we're ready to be okay. 

8 comments:

  1. So. powerful.
    So much love to you and Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring,Liz. We keep you in our daily prayers after the rosary at night! Love,Jack and Luanne Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt many of your emotions and today, three years and 8 surgeries later, I still hate my body. I do act like Im okay, but inside Im not. I can really relate to you on almost every level. You are not alone. Strongs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for your thoughtful comment. I am truly sorry you've had to endure so much in such a short time - I can't imagine going through 8 surgeries. Wishing you the very best.

      Delete