Grief, Kayaking, And A Happy Farewell To Summer

If we're going with the "grief hits in waves" analogy, then this past week was a tsunami. It's been a relentless onslaught of heaviness around here, hit after hit after hit. It's all part of the process, they say, so I'm trying to roll with it and let the emotions fill me up, do their thing, and go from there. 


One thing I've learned while navigating this boggy terrain, is that grief is not a straight path. It's not linear, it's not chronological. Things do NOT get easier as each day passes. They get harder. Then a little easier. Then back to hard. Then the world explodes and I'm heating up Campbell's soup for dinner and sobbing into Paul's hoodies.


Last weekend, Ingrid and I took a road trip out east to Waterford, NY for the 8th Annual Kayaking For Meso fundraiser. This event is particularly dear to my heart. Paul and I made the trip three years ago, when Ingrid had just turned one. We painted our canoe in the Meso Foundation's signature light blue color, and I held our not-yet-walking babe in my lap while Paul paddled us the seven or so miles down the Erie Canal. (Hard to imagine him with that kind of strength.)


Kayaking For Meso 2015

This year's kayakers paddled in memory of my sweet Paul and Sarah Simso-DeMaria, another young woman who passed away from mesothelioma last year. Sarah was just lovely, and we had the privilege of meeting her and her husband at a Meso Symposium in 2015.


Despite the cold temps this year, it was an incredible event. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to Paul's memory. Aside from his family, being on the water was one of his great loves.


Kayaking For Meso 2018

We were spoiled with a comfy ride on the pontoon boat this time around.


Ingrid and I ended the weekend on what should have been a high note: an afternoon at The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester. That place, for the record, is something else. Really special. The mini Wegmans area was a favorite.


And yet, I left feeling more deflated than ever. I couldn't even keep it together long enough to get past the highway tollbooths without tears. Why yes, I'm crying. But I'm FINEEEE. Totally 100% OK with life and everything. Just the ticket if you would, kind sir.


I'm guessing my sadness was triggered by an unfortunate blend of dreary weather, the onset of a nasty cold (thank you preschool germs!), and a restless sleep the night before. And maybe OK. Also because I'm totally not fineeeee or OK with life and everything. Not at all. And being in a museum swirling with dads helping their daughters build castles and pregnant moms and siblings and all that noise and then there's just me, alone, watching my daughter play, alone, and that's what I felt: so alone.


And before you're all: but Liz, you're not alone! You have friends and family and neighbors and all these people loving you and Ingrid and helping you out. And, guys, that's awesome. I appreciate every single one of you and every single thing people have done for us—big and small. Really, I do. I am so beyond blessed it's borderline ridiculous. 


But. I miss my husband. There is nothing, NOTHING, that can ever fill that hole.


I love watching Ingrid explore and discover and do all that great kid stuff. I love taking her on trips and reading to her and listening to her butcher the lyrics to The Greatest Showman. But I miss sharing that stuff with her dad. Yes, I can share those things with other people. And that is fine and dandy, but it is NOT the same.


I missed the amused smiles we'd have shared when an incredulous Ingrid asked if an animatronic Giant was "real or fake." I missed ordering Paul a strawberry milkshake to go with our pair of chocolate ones. I missed his stream of ornery remarks about all the kids running wild. (Although more known for his laid-back vibe, I can assure you Paul's attitude often crossed into what I affectionately referred to as "Early-Onset-Grumpy-Old-Man-Syndrome".)



new Girl Nick

Most of all, I missed my husband when a couple of snooty girls refused to play with my daughter. There's no need to go into details, but basically, my bruised heart got all torn up watching two 5-year-olds tell my kid to "go away! We don't want to play with you!" Ingrid, cool kid that she is, walked away entirely unfazed by this snub. Her sensitive mama...not so much. Paul would have known exactly the right thing to say, though. He would have known just how to snap me out of my funk.


That's the thing about having a committed partner. They know you better than any other living soul, and it's sort of their job to take care of things when your sensitive self can't stop crying over mean little girls. And that's gone forever and I'm not OK with it, OK?


All in all, I'm glad for this summer to be over. As soon as September hits, every living soul is all: "can you believe how fast summer flew by?!?" And I'm over here like: Really, how was that for you? Because OHMYGAWD this summer went so slooooooooooow.


Not that it was all terrible or depressing. In fact, I don't think I've ever crammed so much activity into one season. This summer was not without its memorable moments. But fly by, it did not.

You hear that, Buffalo winter? Bring it. I'm ready for you. (Did I just say that? Must be the grief talking. I'm powerless here.)


xoxo


7 comments:

  1. Oh Liz,what can I say? What you're going thru is beyond what anyone should ever have to endure. I look at these photos of Paul and it breaks my heart and I can't hold back the tears-he was so awesome! If we miss him that much, I can't even fathom how much you miss him. Thank you for sharing your heart and soul. I just want to hug you right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Paul was one awesome dude. I think about how lucky I was to be his wife all the time.

      Delete
  2. God bless you, Liz, with peace and healing,one day a time. In 1980,6 weeks after my Mom died, we learned "feelings are not right or wrong".
    They just are... I distinctly remember the empty, lonely, dead feeling that comes with loss.Thanks for sharing your truth, Honey. And we keep you in our nightly prayers after our rosary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers! I appreciate that so much. And you are right: there are no right or wrong feelings when it comes to loss and grief. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Oh Liz, I wish I could say something profound that might help. "There is nothing, NOTHING, that can ever fill that hole." How painfully true. I am sorry your sweet Paul died and that you are left with this hole that can never be filled. I don't blame you for being glad summer is over. Time becomes somewhat meaningless while grieving, don't you think? Keeping you and Ingrid in my thoughts. Keep writing. I hope it helps. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Yes, I completely agree: time has become elusive these days. I will push myself to keep writing because it does help. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing this post!

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz--I am sending you loads of love and loads of empathy. Having lost my father at 7, and knowing what my mother, a 2 time widow with a small child, went through, and how emotionally traumatic it has been for my entire life, it is such a challenge to get through. I have a lot of anger at having missed out on the years and years of having a father--not that he wanted to die! I still remember how I spent my entire life thinking, boy he'd have been proud of me, or boy would he have helped me a lot right now, and even boy, would he have grounded me so for what I just did. I have to say that growing up with a fractured family did make me a very strong person and I hope that your strength continues--as even though you may not feel so strong, I see you as the most amazing young woman I know--and Ingrid is a lucky girl to be your daughter. XXX

    ReplyDelete